Saturday, February 28, 2015

Adaptation


Who knew when I made this spoon necklace that it would be apropos to me?! Adapt was a word I came up with because the alphabet beads I have have been so picked over that it was the only word I could come up with. (Note to self....buy more alphabet beads.)

It has been over 40 years since I broke a bone, my third time with a broken collar bone back in seventh grade. In fact, almost all my accidents have never really inconvenienced me...until now. Fortunately, not much pain, but inconvenient. Here is what I cannot do without a left hand, even though on that hand do have an opposable thumb and two usable fingers.

  • Play guitar. However, we are going to try some slide guitar which will be a new, fun thing to learn anyway.
  • Wash dishes because I can't get the cast wet. Not a biggy, I have an electric dishwasher and a husband-dishwasher. However, the husband-dishwasher has been sick which means the pans, etc., sit for a while until he is up to doing them and it drives me crazy!
  • Open cans with a can opener.
  • Open jars that are stuck or not opened before.
  • Ride a bicycle.
  • Easily put on my seat belt...it takes some time and undoing it is just as difficult.
  • Wash my hair.
  • Shave under my right arm.
  • Eat away from the table, which is fun to do on Friday nights. :)
Surprisingly, the things I can do:
  • Pull up my pants.
  • Tie my shoes.
  • Type with one finger of the left hand and the full right hand.
  • Unpack and do laundry.
So, I am adapting, painting, starting to put my new songs in music form with the help of a computer program. And, actually sitting down in my rocker in the sun that shines through the window and sip tea and read. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment